How to Make Homemade Gravy
Rich thick gravy poured over roasted chicken, beef, and pork or even on simple mashed potatoes can become an ultimate winter comfort food for anyone. But people usually refrain from making homemade gravy as they think that making the perfect gravy is very tough. On the contrary it is one of the easiest recipe if you can master a few tricks and tips. So, throw away your ready made sauces and instant powders and find out how to make homemade gravy.
Make gravy with bouillon cubes
The first recipe to make homemade gravy is the simplest, as it's made with bouillon cubes, which you can easily make at home too if you want a perfect DIY touch. To do this recipe you'll need to follow the instructions below.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/6 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can use this gravy on roasted chicken to make it taste even better.
- Take a gravy pan and add ¼ cup unsalted butter broken into chunks. On a low temperature melt the butter till it becomes foamy.
- Add the all purpose flour into the pan and start whisking it till it blends well. It will take about 6 to 12 minutes.
- Now that the mixture is cooked and your kitchen smells like pie, add half cup chicken stock to the mixture and start whisking vigorously. Keep whisking till all the stock gets absorbed.
- Pour in the remaining stock into the mixture. Keep whisking till your gravy becomes smooth as silk.
- If your gravy hasn't thickened enough then you can add the cream to it. The cream will make the gravy flavorful and also give texture to it. But if you have got the desired consistency in gravy in the above step then you can skip adding the cream.
- Taste your thick silky gravy and add salt and pepper according to taste.
- You only need to pour it over the chicken or any other dish you've prepared and enjoy it.
Homemade gravy using pan drippings
Pan dripping is the leftover on the stove top when the roast is done and removed from the pan. The pan dripping adds a wonderfully rich flavor to the gravy. Make roast chicken and use the fat left in the pan to make a delicious gravy.
- 4 tablespoon pan dripping/ fat
- 4 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 – 4 cups of liquid
- Salt and pepper
- After removing the roast check the amount of fat left in pan. If it’s less than 4 tablespoon then add some butter till you get 4 tablespoon of fat.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan while the pan is still hot. This will help in loosening any stuck dripping. Keep the pan on stove top on low to medium heat.
- Take the corn starch and dissolve it in little amount of water to make a thin paste. Then pour the paste over the pan containing the dripping. Start whisking.
- Keep whisking till the fat blends in and the mixture begins to thicken. Then add some of the liquid (water, stock, cream or milk) to the pan and keep stirring.
- Keep adding the liquid at some interval and continue stirring till your gravy becomes thick and of desired consistency.
- Taste it and add salt and pepper according to taste. Your home made pan dripping gravy is ready to enjoy.
You can prepare some chicken fingers and eat them with any of the two versions of the homemade gravy we've given you in this article. It will surely taste delicious!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Homemade Gravy, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.