How to Defrost Meat Fast
Even though it takes some time to defrost meat, we may have to do it quickly if we are not farsighted enough. The safest and most recommended way to defrost is to take the food out of the freezer and let it warm up slowly in the cooler (least cold) part of the refrigerator. However, if you forgot to take the food out the night before, do not be alarmed! It is possible to defrost any cut of meat quickly and safely by using a few methods.
In this oneHOWTO article, you'll learn how to defrost meat quickly and get some tips on how to do it safely without damaging the food.
Defrost meat using the microwave oven
When we need to defrost meat in the face of an unforeseen event, the use of the microwave is a good solution, provided that this is done properly to prevent the food from defrosting and not cooking in its own juices. Most microwaves have special defrosting programs. It is important to use them when needed, as they allow for even defrosting of foods without overheating them.
However, it is always a good idea to monitor the rapid defrosting of meat. Start the microwave for just a few seconds (no more than 30 seconds), then turn it off, flip the piece over and repeat the process. You may have to do this two or three times, but it's better than microwaving the meat for five minutes at a time without monitoring when the pickled meat thaws. The goal is to prevent the meat from being cooked with other pieces of meat that are still frozen.
If you are interested in learning more about the way microwaves work, then check out this article on is microwaving food dangerous?
Defrost meat using water
Here is another simple and effective way to defrost meat quickly, especially if the meat is divided in small pieces. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Place the piece in a plastic bag, which you can seal tightly or tie tightly with a knot. Remove the excess air so that the meat appears almost vacuum packed and place the bag in a bowl of cold or lukewarm water.
- You will find that the meat is almost ready to cook in less than an hour. Leave the bag under water for about 20 minutes, then change the water and repeat the process.
- Remove it from the bag and prepare it immediately. Do not refreeze it.
If you want to know other ways of preserving meat that does not include freezing it, then keep reading this article on how to stop meat from going bad.
Defrost meat using a pot
The following method is suitable for frozen meat that is not too fatty, such as individual beef steaks or chicken breasts. To thaw meat quickly and safely, simply follow these simple steps.
- Place the meat on a hard, apartment surface (a cooking board, an inverted pot, or the countertop itself).
- Spread the frozen steak out as much as possible.
- Take a pot of a certain size or weight and fill it with warm water.
- Place the pot on top of the piece of meat. The heat will promote rapid thawing without spoiling the meat.
Defrost meat using vinegar
There are also several solutions for rapid thawing of meat based on direct application of heat. However, it should be noted that this type of heat can promote the formation of bacteria that can damage the food. With a simple trick you can avoid this problem:
- Put warm water in a tray or bowl and add a small amount of mild vinegar (apple or white wine). Two or three small tablespoons are sufficient.
- Put the piece of frozen meat in and let it soak for about 5 minutes, turning it a few times to make sure it is completely soaked.
- Take it out and let it thaw on a plate at room temperature.
- The vinegar will help stop the possible proliferation of bacteria, and its action will significantly shorten the thawing time.
If you are concerned about bacteria in your food and would like to learn how to get rid of them in other foods, then read on how to disinfect fruits and vegetables before eating.
Defrost meat using oil and spices
Of course, this is not a "miracle cure" that will allow you to thaw meat in minutes, but for certain recipes this technique can be very useful. For stews or braises, for example, you can defrost meat faster if you add an oil-based seasoning to make the pieces fall off.
- Prepare an olive oil dressing with some salt, pepper and your favorite spices (oregano, thyme, parsley...).
- Coat the frozen meat pieces well with a little of this olive oil dressing.
- Wait a few minutes. This will allow you to thaw the meat in less time and also, as the meat pieces thaw, they will absorb all the aroma and flavor of the marinade you prepared.
If you are curios in learning more techniques to defrost different kinds of food, keep reading this article on how to defrost bread.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Defrost Meat Fast, we recommend you visit our Food & drink category.