How to Keep Salmon Fresh
If you have bought salmon and you want to use the remaining one after a few days, then it is important to know how to keep salmon fresh for longer. Whether you have bought it in filler form or steak form, it should smell fresh and should be bright pink in color. When refrigerated, salmon can last for 2-3 days, but if you keep it in the freezer, you can consume it even after 2 months. So, read this oneHOWTO article to know how to keep salmon fresh.
How long will salmon last
The shelf life of salmon depends on a number of factors, including how it is stored, how it is prepared, and of course its ‘sell by’ date. As compared to other fish varieties, salmon has a shorter shelf life, especially you do not store it properly. Most importantly, know that salmon has a ‘sell by’ date instead of a ‘use by’ date. So, you can use it even if it has gone beyond its date, provided that you use it immediately or store it safely.
- Fresh salmon: In the refrigerator, fresh salmon lasts for 1-2 days, but can be stored for 6-9 months in the freezer.
- As for smoked salmon, it stays fresh in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, and 6-9 months in the freezer.
- Cooked and frozen salmon also have a similar shelf life, unlike canned salmon that can stay in the refrigerator for 6-8 months.
Click here to see how to know if salmon has gone off.
Buying the freshest piece from the market
As soon as you buy the salmon from supermarket, you should start your endeavor to keep it fresh for long. Take a piece that is lying directly on the ice, or that is placed on the bottom-most case of the refrigerator. This will ensure that the salmon remains fresh by the time you reach your home. If your home is at a distance of more than 30 minutes drive, ask the seller to give you a freezer package or pack it in ice.
How to keep salmon fresh in the refrigerator
Fresh salmon will be firm to touch and pink to red in color. It is very important to buy salmon as fresh as possible from the market, especially if you are not planning to use it same day. Remove the package and rinse properly in cool water. Pat it dry using a kitchen towel, slice one lemon and put 2-3 slices of lemon on the salmon. Lemon slices are very important to maintain the freshness of salmon. Wrap the salmon very tightly in a plastic wrap, take a shallow pan and keep the wrapped salmon in it, and keep this bowl in the bottom-most shelf of your refrigerator. Cook the fresh salmon within 2-3 days.
How to keep salmon fresh in the freezer
You can keep salmon fresh in the freezer for several months. When you buy it, rinse it well and pat it dry using kitchen towels. Wrap it in a plastic wrap, further wrap it in an aluminum foil, label it with date and place it in the coldest area of your freezer. Adjust the temperature to zero degrees or even less, if available.
Important tips to keep salmon fresh
Make sure your salmon is as fresh as it can be by following these simple steps:
- Try to buy salmon from your nearest store, so that you can refrigerate it immediately after purchasing.
- Do not leave it at room temperature.
- Ensure freshness of the salmon before buying it by looking at its texture, color and eyes.
- Do not refreeze the salmon that you have thawed or frozen previously.
- Do not buy or use salmon that is discolored or that smells fishy.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Keep Salmon Fresh, we recommend you browse around our Food & drink category.