How To Make French Toast Without Vanilla Extract
Traditionally, French toast is an excellent way to use up stale bread, and to add a delicious treat to the family breakfast. Although the traditional recipe calls for eggs, sugar, butter, milk, bread, maple syrup and vanilla extract, you can add your personal touch by making it a multitude of ingredients of your choice.
In this oneHOWTO article, we're going to tell you how to make french toast without vanilla extract. This way, you can still make this delicious recipe, even if you're missing one of its main ingredients. Keep reading to learn how to replace the vanilla!
Alternative ingredients for vanilla
If you have run out or simply don't want to use vanilla in your French toast, you can use other ingredients that can substitute vanilla but still have a similar taste, for example:
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon with a pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp clove
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1/2 tsp allspice
- Honey is another good substitute for vanilla, though it may seem a bit too sticky if you also add maple syrup to your French toast.
Keep in mind that the measurements above are for a recipe of 4 servings of French Toast. Therefore, you should adapt it if you're doing more or less.
You may also want to learn how to cook a full English breakfast.
Liqueur substitutes (for adults)
As vanilla acts as a flavor booster for other ingredients, there are several liqueurs that can act as a substitute for vanilla in French toast, as long as the French toast is for adults, not children.
You will only have to pour one tablespoon of either rum, brandy or Kahlua in the mixture where you are going to dip the toast.
How to make French Toast without vanilla
French toast tastes great whether it is fried, cooked on a skillet, or microwaved. The idea is to mix two eggs, the maple syrup and the vanilla substitute of your choice all together, making sure all the ingredients are perfectly blended.
Dip the loafs of bread in the liquid on both sides for about 30 seconds and fry your french toast in a previously buttered pan or container. Make sure that you do not fry the bread on high heat, as it will burn from the outside, and stay raw from the inside. Cook each side of the bread for around 45 seconds.
You can add a bit more of your vanilla substitute to garnish, especially if you have used ground spices, your French toast without vanilla will taste delicious!
If you want to follow a specific recipe, we propose the following:
How to make French Toast without Vanilla
You will need:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp clove (or other substitute mentioned above)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 4 slices of bread
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Add your cinnamon and vanilla substitute. Mix well.
- Stir in the milk.
- Heat up your skillet and add oil or butter.
- Dip your bread in the mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Cook until brown on both sides.
- Now you can add syrup and fruit to your French Toast without vanilla, and enjoy!
You may also want to learn how to make waffles without a waffle maker.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Make French Toast Without Vanilla Extract, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.
- Cinnamon is one of the best substitutes for vanilla, due to its similarity in consistency and taste.