How To Make Puffed Wheat Squares Stick Together
Puffed wheat squares are the perfect snacks that your mom must have made when you were a kid. People don’t make them much today, as there is a lot of technique that is required to make them perfect. Most people complain that when they make puffed wheat squares, they fall apart and don’t stick together. Here at OneHowTo.com, we are trying to tell you how to make puffed wheat squares stick together.
- ¼ cup Margarine or butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 5 cups puffed wheat cereal
Different ways to make puffed wheat squares
Take 3 cups of miniature marshmallows, ¼ cup of butter or margarine, ½ tsp of vanilla, and 5 cups of crispy corn puff, rice crispies, toasted oats, whole wheat flakes or corn flakes, as per your choice. Follow these steps to make puffed wheat squares:
- Heat margarine and marshmallows in a saucepan over low flame, keep stirring constantly until the marshmallows melt and the mixture becomes smooth
- Remove from flame, stir in vanilla, and add the cereal, making sure that all the grains have coated evenly
- Press in a buttered baking pan, let it cool, and cut into bars of your preferred size
If you like, you can also make homemade marshmallows too!
Tips to stick the wheat squares together
Experts give you some tips to make puffed wheat squares stick together. Here are a few that can help:
- Adding less cereal and applying more pressure while pressing down can be helpful in making the squares stick together.
- Make sure that all the cereal grains you have put in the mixture are coated well before you press them into the pan. If you see that the mixture is less and all the grains may not coat well, you can reduce the amount of cereal that you are going to add to it.
- When you heat the ingredients, let them boil for a couple of minutes, so that the mixture gets thicker, bubblier and stickier. The grains will stick together better in this thicker mixture.
Alternatives to puffed wheat
If you prefer, there are also several alternatives to make these delicious squares without the puffed wheat. Simply follow these instructions instead:
To make peanut butter marshmallow bars, stir ½ cup of peanut butter into the mixture of marshmallow and margarine. To make gumdrop marshmallow bars, mix ¼ tsp of ground cinnamon in vanilla, add one cup of small gumdrops, and cut into halves with the cereal. To make chocolate marshmallow bars, heat 6 ounces of semi-sweet choco-chips until they melt, and spread over the mixture of cereals in a pan. To make coconut bars, use ½ cup of flaked coconut instead of 1 cup of cereal.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Make Puffed Wheat Squares Stick Together, we recommend you visit our Food & drink category.