How to Make Flour Using Jackfruit Seeds
The jackfruit craze is spreading Worldwide thanks to its many health benefits. There are many ways of eating jackfruit, but making flour out of its seeds is a great way to benefit from its seeds, as you will not only benefit from its nutrients but is the perfect gluten free substitute for regular wheat flour, as are rice flour our buckwheat.
If you'd like to know how to make flour using jackfruit seeds, keep on reading this oneHOWTO article and find out!
Nutrients in jackfruit seeds
As you may know, jackfruit is mostly its seeds and has a great amount of health benefits that, if cooked properly are a one of the best sources of carbohydrate and protein there is. It is also a source of vitamin A and B, certain minerals and some forms of vitamin B. It also contains a high dosage of dietary fiber, isoflavones and sapionins.
Its powder is used, especially in India, as a nutrient supplement for children too, thanks to the amount of protein it contains and its sweet taste, which kids are usually fond of.
Make jackfruit seeds flour at home
Making flour out of jackfruit seeds is a great solution for those people who have a gluten intolerance and want to bake their favorite food. Note that to make this recipe you'll need a food dehydrator to make it properly so, first of all, gather the necessary equipment.
- 1 medium sized jackfruit
- The first step to make flour out of jackfruit seeds is to cut the jackfruit in half.
- Remove the jackfruit rind portion and carefully select the jackfruit seeds. Cut into thin slices and rince with water.
- Get hold of a cheesecloth or similar and lay it on a tray. Put the jackfruit seed slices carefully separated. They will have to be put in a cabinet dryer, food dehydrator or solar dryer. Leave at 60 to 65 degrees Celsius for around 10 to 14 hours in total.
- Use an airtight plastic bag to but in all the jackfruit seed slices, close the bag properly with no air and store at room temperature for another 24 hours.
- After this time has passed, you can used a blender to finely blend your jackfruit flour until you get a fine texture.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and you're ready to ho! This is an incredible aid not only for gluten free flour, it is also great for people who suffer from diabetes and want to lose weight.
Use jackfruit flour in your baking and mix it with your usual flour to make Chapatis too.
Make jackfruit seeds powder
If you want to use jackfruit seed as powder to add some flavor and extra spice to your favorite dishes, you can check out the following recipe for jackfruit seed powder, also known as podi too!
- 20 jackfruit seeds
- 8 red chillies
- 1 bunch curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbps grated dry coconut
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp oil
- First of all, you'll have to peel the jackfruit seeds and chop them into smallish pieces.
- Heat up a pan and roast them for 5 minutes until they become a golden or brown color. Leave them to cool down.
- Use the same pan to add the oil. When hot, add the chill, curry asafoetida and curry. Fry them until they gain a crispy texture. Add the coconut to the pan until golden.
- Mix all of the ingredients, add the pinch of salt and grind finely.
- Store in an airtight container and let it sit overnight. You can use them in your favorite rice dish so it tastes absolutely delicious or to make some dosa.
If you love jackfruit you can also learn how to roast jackfruit seeds here!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Flour Using Jackfruit Seeds, we recommend you visit our Food & drink category.