How to Make a Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
The pumpkin spice latte is now more than just a trend. It is an event which happens every year. Some people like it because it marks the turn of autumn and helps us feel toasty as the days get cooler. Others simply love the flavor and would drink it all year round if they could. Not they can with our oneHOWTO recipe on how to make homemade pumpkin spice latte. This is a delicious coffee drink which uses seasonal ingredients and flavors to give you the sweet treat you need this fall.
We also show you how you can tweak this DIY pumpkin spice coffee recipe by changing the ingredients to suit your tastes and needs. This way you can make it healthy, vegan or dairy free if that's what you need.
Place the pumpkin puree in a bowl and mix it very well with the sugar or sweetener. Add the spices also. Different sweeteners will have different equivalents to sugar, so you will have to ensure you figure the right amount. It is best to use less than more since you can always add more later.
You can puree your own pumpkin, but you will need to ensure it is cooked properly and pureed to a very smooth consistency. You do not want a fibrous or stodgy latte.
If you fancy something delicious to eat with your homemade pumpkin spice latte, you may be interested in how to make homemade pumpkin fritters.
In a saucepan, add the previous mixture along with your choice of milk. Whole milk has fat which makes it rich and creamy, but you can use semi-skimmed for a healthier alternative. Dairy-free or vegan options can use oat milk, almond milk or their preferred alternative, but be careful if it is sweetened. Heat the mixture on low, but do not moil. Whisk as you do for better combination.
The freshly brewed coffee should be added to the hot milk to create a homogeneous mixture. The type of coffee can be your preference too. Some people use espresso, but you can use instant coffee granules in a pinch.
Use our affiliate link below to purchase some quality gourmet Hawaiian ground coffee:
This DIY pumpkin spice latte recipe serves two persons, so pour into two large mugs or suitable glasses. Use a fine mesh strainer to ensure you avoid any lumps. Lumps of pumpkin won't make it unpalatable, but many people enjoy a smoother consistency.
To decorate the pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin coffee, we use whipped cream. Homemade whipped cream is tastier and doesn't contain any additives. A little ground cinnamon is also sprinkled over the top. This drink should be served fresh. If desired, you can add another little bit of pumpkin puree to accentuate the flavor.
Now you know how to make homemade pumpkin spice lattes, you may want to try some other specialty coffees. You can do so with our recipes on how to make a DIY carajillo and how to make a dalgona coffee at home.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make a Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.
- Pumpkin can be steamed, boiled or roasted in the oven. It is up to the person to choose their preferred way to do cook it, although roasting can make the dish a little too savory. It is also the most time consuming.
- You may not have the same preference for spice, so it is best to add small amounts at the beginning and then simply add them to your own personal taste.
- There is another alternative in which all the ingredients are stirred at once and a little espresso is added at the end. To decorate, add another little bit of pumpkin puree. The decision of how to prepare this homemade pumpkin spice latte is down to you.
- Pumpkin spice is an extra ingredient in this recipe, so don't throw it away if there is any left over. Instea, put it in a jar, seal it airtight and store in a cool, dry place. In this way, it can be used for your next DIY pumpkin spiced latte.
- Each person can choose the way of sweetening that works best for them. Sugar is often the most flavorful, but you can also use sweeteners if you wish. A good option is to switch the sugar for honey since this is an ingredient which pairs very well with pumpkin spice mix.