How to Make an Avocado, Salmon and Walnut Salad
Summer can affect what we eat. Warmer temperatures not only influence our appetite, but it can affect our dietary preferences on a daily basis. Especially during the day, even basic recipes can seem too much if we are listless and hot. In these cases, we will want to make something easily and quickly. The end result should be something refreshing, but which also meets our nutritional needs. We should also choose something which is seasonal, so going for an avocado salad meets all these requirements to the fullest.
At oneHOWTO, we show you how to make an avocado, salmon and walnut salad. Our quick and easy recipe is the ideal salad for summer and can be prepared in just a few minutes.
The first step in making an avocado, salmon, and walnut salad is preparing the fresh ingredients. Wash the lettuce or spinach, depending on your choice of leaf. Leave it in a drainer to dry or use a salad spinner, if available. Remove the avocados from their skins and slice them. Squeeze the lemon and drizzle the juice over the avocados. In doing so, you will prevent them from browning while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Take a look at this related article if you want to find some more slimming avocado recipes.
After preparing the avocados, we continue with the rest of the ingredients. Slice the onion into thin strips. Next, chop a handful of walnuts and cut the feta cheese into small cubes. You can choose different varieties of cheese, depending on how healthy you want it to be. It also works well with Parmesan cheese.
The next step in our avocado and smoked salmon salad recipe is to chop the lettuce or spinach, if necessary. Ensure it is clean and dry or it will negatively affect the texture of the salad. Along with the cheese, onion and walnuts, prepare a bed with all these ingredients in a large serving dish or on individual plates, depending on how you are going to serve the salad.
If you are unsure, check out our article on how to tell if lettuce has gone bad.
When you have prepared the bed made of lettuce, walnuts, cheese and onion, cut the smoked salmon into several pieces or strips, according to your taste. If you sprinkle a little pepper on the pieces of salmon, you will enhance their flavor. You can add it directly in the source along with the rest of the ingredients to obtain a fresh salad. You can also prepare grilled salmon and add the cooked pieces to the recipe, but this will make it a warm salad.
Avoid salting the smoked salmon since it should be salty enough.
At this point, the avocado, salmon and walnut salad is practically finished. All that is left is to add the dressing of your choice. Here we are using a simply lemon vinaigrette. In a bowl, put in the oil, a splash of vinegar, lemon juice pepper and a pinch of salt. Both apple cider and wine vinegar are great for this salad, but you could use balsamic if you are feeling adventurous. Be careful with the salt as the salmon is already salty.
Stir all the ingredients well so they are well integrated, but don't do it so intensely you mash the avocado. Then, pour the vinaigrette over the rest of the ingredients of this refreshing dish. Now you just have to simply serve and enjoy this delicious avocado and salmon salad.
Now that you know how to make an avocado, salmon, and walnut salad, try these other salad-related recipes:
- How to make a potato salad with mustard
- What is the best time of day to eat salad?
- How to make easy fruit salads
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make an Avocado, Salmon and Walnut Salad, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.
- The avocado, salmon and walnut salad contains a very beneficial nutritional contribution for the body. The omega 3 from salmon and the healthy fats from walnuts and avocado are important for the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system. In addition, the antioxidant, vitamin and mineral properties provided by the rest of the ingredients further increase the fact this is a healthy salad.
- However, even if they are healthy fats, you should keep in mind that it is a salad with a high caloric intake. If you are on a weight-loss diet, you must be careful with the amounts you take. Still, this avocado and salmon salad is only 270 calories per serving, so it serves as a starter or appetizer before a light main course. Eat more if you want a larger meal.
- Although this recipe contains ingredients like lettuce and walnuts, you can make small changes based on your preferences. Almonds are a good substitute for walnuts and, as we have already mentioned, spinach is a great alternative for other lettuce leaves.
- Do you want to make this salad even healthier? Then change the traditional vinaigrette. Opt for an orange vinaigrette, with a different and milder flavor. You can even simply dress the salad with soy sauce, but without sugar, so that it remains a low-calorie recipe. However, be careful with the high-sodium content of soy sauce.
- If you're not looking to lose weight or follow a strict diet, consider adding olives to your avocado, salmon and walnut salad. Olives combine well with the rest of the ingredients, but they are very caloric. For light dishes, it is best not to add them. Instead, you can incorporate pieces of tomato or some type of vegetable such as pepper (red or green) and zucchini.