How to Make Homemade Zucchini Chips
While we cannot deny that potato chips are delicious, they are also often a little boring, even when they are homemade. Vegetable crisps are a great alternative and moderately more health than potato chips. This is because they will have the benefit of more nutrients, but most of the calories here come from salt and fat. Whether you want to try them as a snack, appetizer or garnish, zucchini crisps can be a great addition to your culinary repertoire.
At oneHOWTO, we show you how to make homemade zucchini chips with our quick and easy oven recipe. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can use it for almost any vegetable crisp you want. Get inventive!
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350 ºF. While the oven heats up, you can start preparing the rest.
Prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper, then brush it with a little oil . To make it easier, you can use olive oil in spray format or you can soak an absorbent paper napkin with a little oil and spread it on the greaseproof paper.
Wash the zucchini and dry it properly. Cut it into very thin slices. You can do this using a very sharp knife, but the best option will be to do it with a mandolin or special hand grater for zucchini slices. The result will be more accurate if you use a special tool, but it might not be worth buying one if you won't use it regularly.
Place the zucchini slices on the tray and spread them out well, ensuring they are not touching. Season them with salt to taste and then add your preferred spices. You can use a multitude of spices, such as garlic powder, black pepper, red paprika, Provencal herbs or even curry spices.
Place the tray with the zucchini slices in the oven and let them cook for approximately 45 minutes. For the chips to be crisp and golden, you must turn them at least 3 times during cooking.
After three quarters of an hour, you will have your light zucchini chips ready to enjoy. Our advice is that you eat them immediately so that they are more crisp and tasty. You can place them in an airtight container once they are cold, but they will go mushy after only a short time.
If you liked this recipe for baked zucchini chips, you might want to try our related recipes using this most versatile vegetable. You can try these recipes for:
- Homemade zucchini tempura
- Homemade zucchini noodles without a spiralizer
- Stuffed zucchini with garlic prawns
- Homemade zucchini cream soup
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Homemade Zucchini Chips, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.
- Before putting the tray in the oven, make sure the zucchini is not too moist. You can dry it with a paper towel beforehand to absorb excess moisture and the result will be ultra-crispy zucchini chips.
- If you want your zucchini chips to be as healthy as possible, you can choose to season them with a combination of spices and forget about the salt. They will be equally delicious!
- To make your zucchini chips have much more flavor, you can use powdered spice mixes, flavored salts or even a mixture of dried chilis, to obtain a better result.
- To obtain the perfect bake, ideally start with about 25 minutes of cooking, then turn them over, bake another 15 minutes and finish with the last 10 minutes by baking the zucchini chips at 120 ºC/248 ºF.
- Remember: the crisper you want the zucchini chips, the longer they will cook and the lower the baking temperature should be.
- As you know, to prepare your zucchini chips you can also use a fryer, although the result will not be as spectacular as baked zucchini chips in the oven. This is because the water in the zucchini will mean the result is not as crunchy a chip. For this reason, the use of an oven is preferable.