How to Make Porridge Oats
Porridge has recently taken social media by storm, and it really is no wonder! It's a healthy and nutritious meal to start the day, which provides a good dose of fibre and plenty of energy. The multiple benefits of oats for health are enhanced further if we add fruit or nuts, which add an extra nutritional boost. If you are ready to include this to your diet, read on and let us show you how at OneHowTo. Read on to find out how to make porridge , which you can modify and change according to your personal preferences.
Before beginning making this porridge recipe , you should know the benefits it provides and why it is such a good choice of breakfast.
Porridge is a good nutritional choice because:
- It is high in fibre which helps to improve intestinal transit and reduce constipation.
- Fibre also makes you feel satisfied longer, an effect that is enhanced if you add nuts to the dish. This breakfast will keep us nice and full all until lunchtime.
- This wholegrain helps to protect our heart against heart disease.
- Oats are beneficial for reducing cholesterol and fat in our bodies.
- The sugar content in fruits gives us short-term energy which helps wake us up.
- In addition, oats is a complex carbohydrate , which means it gives us energy throughout the day, given its slow energy release.
The best thing about porridge is that you can add any nuts or fruit that you fancy: almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, berries, pear, apple, banana: whatever you want! This makes it a very versatile breakfast dish.
To prepare porridge, turn on the hob and turn to a high heat. Next, add the 500 ml of milk or vegetable drink to a saucepan and heat. You can use skimmed cow milk or choose other products such as soy, almond or oat milk.
When it is on the point of boiling, turn the heat down to medium and add 8 tablespoons of oats, remembering that this recipes serves two. If you are preparing porridge for yourself alone, add just 250 ml of milk to 4 tablespoons of oats. Stir and then cover for 10 minutes to cook.
After this time, check the porridge. It should be smooth and have a mushy consistency. When it's ready, turn off the heat, add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavour, stir and let cool slightly whilst you chop the fruit.
If you plan to add nuts like almonds or walnuts, it is best to cut them. Now, all that remains to do is to wash and chop the fruit into small pieces that are easy to eat in one bite. Serve the porridge in a bowl, sprinkle with a little brown sugar or sweetener if you have a sweet tooth, add cinnamon if you like this spice and mix in your fruit. Bon appétit!
It really is that simply to make porridge . Enjoy eating the breakfast of a champion!
If you'd like to read similar articles to How to Make Porridge Oats, we recommend you browse around our Recipes category.