Healthy Snacks You Can Make at Home
Healthy snacks can fuel your body and keep you energized between meals so you can perform your best. However, some snacks are high in saturated fat, sugar and salt and have little nutritional value. Do not let your snacks keep you from reaching your health and fitness goals! Whether you have a sweet tooth or a hearty eater, check out our selection of healthy snack recipes that not only taste great, but are easy to prepare.
In this oneHOWTO article, we have selected 10 easy to make and healthy snacks that you can prepare and incorporate into your diet to lose weight.
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Carrot cake oatmeal pancakes
- Carrot and Zucchini Chips
- Pea hummus with carrot sticks
- Apple chips
- Grilled Pineapple
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Baked tofu chips
- Homemade granola
- Spicy roasted edamame
- Banana and coconut cookies with sunflower seeds
- Fresh fruit skewers
- Date and almond bonbons
- Carrot and celery sticks
- Other healthy snacks
Chickpeas are a great vegetarian source of protein and can also add a textural component to a dish. Add chickpeas to soups, stews, salads and sandwiches to enhance a dish. Chickpeas make a great snack because they have the protein and heartiness of regular chickpeas, but they are also salty, low in calories and crunchy.
- Cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Your favorite species: hot peppers, garlic or onion powder, cumin, sweet peppers, black bell pepper, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Mix the chickpeas in a bowl with the spices you want to add and the two teaspoons of oil.
- When all the ingredients are well mixed, spread the chickpeas on a baking sheet previously lined with baking paper. Avoid piling up the chickpeas, try to keep them as loose as possible.
- Finally, bake the chickpeas for about 30 minutes.
That's it! Now you have your roasted and crispy chickpeas ready to enjoy. Remember that you can serve them as a healthy snack or appetizer, or even add them to your pasta dishes, salads or as a topping in vegetable creams.
If you are vegan and want to know more simple and healthy dishes, do not miss our article about vegan meal plan to get inspired.
Carrot cake oatmeal pancakes
Although this healthy snack requires a little more preparation than others, it is a simple, delicious and filling snack that you can eat in a healthy way between meals. To prepare it, you need to mix together four ingredients that you can prepare in advance and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. These gluten-free carrot cake pancakes are made with whole grain oatmeal instead of regular flour and make a hearty and delicious snack that everyone will enjoy.
- 40 grams of ground oatmeal or oat flour
- 1 carrot
- 1 Egg
- 1 glass of skim milk or vegetable drink
- Grind all the ingredients in a blender: add the ground oatmeal or oat flour, the carrot cut into pieces, the egg and the skim milk or vegetable drink. Beat everything until it is smooth but a little thick, like yogurt.
- Once you have the mixture, grease a pan and pour a little mixture over it.
- Cover the pan and let the pancake brown on both sides.
The oatmeal and carrot pancakes are ready to eat. They can be eaten on their own, with natural jams, fresh fruit, or savory or sweet, sprinkled with some cooked ham or turkey.
If you love pancakes and want to know how to cook them perfectly, then don't miss our article how to make pancakes
Carrot and Zucchini Chips
For those of you who can not resist the taste and texture of French fries, we offer a healthier alternative that will let you enjoy this appetizer anytime. All you have to do is choose the vegetables you want for this healthy snack. In this case, we will make it with carrots and zucchini.
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Zucchini
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the vegetables and cut them into very thin slices.
- If you like, season it with oregano, white pepper, black pepper and salt to enhance its flavor.
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture.
- Place the vegetable slices on a baking sheet previously lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them for 20 minutes at 110-115ºC, taking care not to burn them.
There you go! You now have your zucchini and carrot chips ready for your appetizer that even those who have a hard time eating vegetables will love.
If you are interested in finding other ways to eat zucchini, don't miss out on this article, how to make zucchini tempura.
Pea hummus with carrot sticks
Surely you know the traditional hummus made from chickpeas, right? Well, now we would like to introduce you to another healthy option that is quick and easy to prepare. We are talking about pea hummus, a simple dip recipe that's low in fat and gluten-free.
- 70g defrosted frozen peas
- One garlic clove
- Cumin powder
- Vegetables soup
- 1 carrot, cut into sticks for dipping
- Crush the peas , with a small can will suffice.
- Add half a clove of garlic, cumin powder and a dash of vegetable broth or vegetable drink.
- Beat the ingredients until they are mixed properly and the texture is homogeneous and thick.
- Accompany this hummus with some carrot sticks and that's it.
A healthy snack for children and adults that you can enjoy at any time, this green pea hummus makes a great mezze meal when accompanied by bread, crackers, or vegetable sticks.
Believe it or not, you can do much more with hummus than just using it as an appetizer or party dip. If you have leftover hummus in your refrigerator, read this article on what to do with leftover hummus.
Healthy homemade apple fries are thinly sliced apples lightly sprinkled with cinnamon and then baked until crispy. They are remarkably addictive and easy to prepare. They are perfect as a healthy snack and are easy to pack and take with you.
- 2 apples
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Ideally, you want to get as fine a slice as possible from the apples. Use a mandolin or cut it with a knife.
- Separate the apple chips on a baking tray, and remember to previously cover the baking tray with baking paper.
- Next, sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the apples.
- Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for a couple of hours at 110ºC. The secret lies in baking the apples at a very low temperature for a long time, which dehydrates them.
Once the dried apple chips are out of the oven, add the final touch by sprinkling cinnamon on top again. Enjoy!
Apples are a delicious fruit with many beneficial properties, keep reading to discover all the benefits of this exquisite fruit on this article on benefits of eating apples.
What can you eat to lose weight? Pineapples are low in calories, with 55 calories per 100 grams, and are 90% water, so they have a diuretic effect, and are also very detoxifying and delicious. For all these reasons, the grilled pineapple can easily become one of your favorite recipes for healthy snacks to go.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the pineapple into rings or slices of 1 inch (2.54 cm).
- Place the pineapple in the pan, which has been previously greased with a teaspoon of oil. The iron must be very hot to achieve the desired effect.
- Take out the pineapple when it is golden brown on both sides, then you can serve it.
It can be eaten hot or cooled down at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If you want to add sweetness, you can sprinkle it with lemon juice or honey. It's delicious, healthy, and ready in a few minutes.
There are many sauces we can use to flavor our dishes, but if you want to add a different touch to roasted or grilled meats, there's nothing better than a mild, sweet, and sour sauce like pineapple sauce. Read on to learn how to make it: how to make pineapple sauce.
Baked sweet potatoes
If you want to eat healthy, sweet potatoes are an easy and delicious option, because they are a superfood with lots of fiber and vitamin C. They are versatile, but baking them whole in the oven is probably the easiest way to prepare them, and they are the perfect base for all kinds of toppings. By following this recipe, you can consume fewer calories, without giving up snacking.
- 4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- The spices you like best: garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, etc.
- Clean and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Then, cut them into sticks.
- Then add a drizzle of olive oil, whatever spices you like best, and a touch of salt.
- Now place the seasoned sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. It's important to place them one at a time and not pile them on top of each other, so they all cook properly.
- Place the sweet potato sticks in the oven preheated to 200ºC.
- Bake them at 200ºC for 20 minutes or until you notice they are starting to brown.
After the sweet potatoes are cooked, they are ready to serve. You can enjoy them on their own or with whatever sauce you prefer. Bon appétit!
If you are trying to lose weight, sweet potato can actually help you a lot. It is rich in fiber, low in calories and contains a lot of water, all of which combine to help you shed those extra pounds. Continue reading this article to learn how to make a fat-burning soup with sweet potatoes.
Baked tofu chips
Crispy, delicious and vegan tofu French fries are one of the healthy snacks for weight loss that you can eat in between meals without eating unhealthy, ultra-processed foods. They can be prepared both in the oven and in the microwave, without the need for oil. The result is a high protein snack with all the benefits that tofu has to offer.
- Some of your favorite herbs and spices: oregano, rosemary, sweet paprika, garlic powder, etc.
- Wrap the tofu in a cloth for 15 minutes. You can also wrap it in kitchen paper or weigh it down with a weight to help it lose the water.
- Change the paper when it is soaked.
- After 15 minutes, cut the tofu into thin strips.
- Place the tofu strips on a baking sheet previously lined with parchment paper.
- Spice them up with salt and pepper, as well as the herbs you like the most, such as oregano, rosemary, sweet paprika, or garlic powder.
- Then bake them at 200ºC for about 25-30 minutes until they become crispy.
You can microwave this tasty, healthy snack at maximum power for 5 or 8 minutes if you're in a hurry.
Tofu is an excellent source of vegetable protein. It is also a great ingredient in many Asian recipes. But like any other food, tofu can go bad after a certain amount of time. To find out how to tell if your tofu is still edible, check out this article on how to tell if tofu has gone bad.
If you have made homemade granola before, you know that it is quick, easy, and very simple to make. Although granola can be a tasty snack, it is also an ideal way to start the day, and it is ideal for breakfast. Once you try homemade granola, you will never buy store-bought granola again.
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla oil
- Sunflower oil
- Peel the hazelnuts and mix them with the rolled oats, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and raisins.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- In another container, mix 6 tablespoons of honey with a teaspoon of vanilla oil and 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil.
- Then add this mixture to the main bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients with your fingers so that they are well covered with the mixture of honey, vanilla and oil.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet previously lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cake for 5 to 6 minutes at 150ºC and on medium high.
- Remove it from the oven, stir it and put it in for a few more minutes until you see it browning, but be careful not to burn it.
- Take the granola out when it is browned and let it cool.
Ready! You can store it in an airtight container once it has cooled completely and consume it anytime you feel hungry. Delicious snack!
Granola bars are a delicious and healthy option for a high-energy breakfast or afternoon snack. However, when you buy granola bars at the store, they are usually saturated with sugar. If you want to learn how to make breakfast bars yourself in your kitchen, keep reading this article on how to make breakfast bars.
Spicy roasted edamame
Try to prepare crispy and seasoned baked edamame for one of the most original and healthy snacks. They provide a lot of protein and fiber, and you can always keep them in your freezer.
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- The spices that you like the most: curry, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic and onion powder...
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Put a pot of salted water on medium heat and boil the edamame. In a few minutes they will be ready.
- Then rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process and remove the edamame from the pods.
- Add the olive oil to the edamame in a bowl.
- The spices you like the most: curry, cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the edamame on a baking sheet previously lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the edamame for 35 to 45 minutes. Stir halfway through, so they cook evenly and do not burn.
You can now add this healthy snack to your appetizers or as a snack between meals to satiate your hunger. It will help you recover energy and avoid ultra-processed foods that only provide empty calories.
Banana and coconut cookies with sunflower seeds
For a healthy sweet snack, without additives, without added sugars, or with no refined flour, try these banana and coconut cookies with sunflower seeds. Not only are they light, but they are packed with fiber.
- Ripe banana
- 50 grams of grated coconut
- 20 grams of sunflower seeds
- Mash a ripe banana to a purée.
- Add the grated coconut and sunflower seeds and mix.
- Then, with the help of a spoon, place small amounts of the mixture on a non-stick or previously oiled baking sheet.
- Shape the cookies so that they are as thin as possible.
- Bake the cookies at 150ºC for 50 minutes, turning them halfway through the baking time so that they are cooked on both sides.
- After baking, let the cookies cool in the oven with the door half open, so they dry completely and become firm and crispy.
The perfect solution to kill hunger without resorting to caloric cookies. Bon Appétit!
The healthiest cookies are the ones that we make ourselves at home. Discover another way of making delicious and healthy cookies by reading this article on how to make sugar-free chocolate banana oatmeal cookies.
Fresh fruit skewers
The nutritional value of fruit cannot be overstated. That's why it's a good idea to prepare healthy snacks in which fruit plays the main role, and incorporate it differently. Today we recommend you to prepare fresh fruit skewers, the perfect alternative for those who do not like to eat whole pieces of fruit. They are prepared in just a few minutes.
- Choose a fruit that you like: red apple, banana, orange, mango, banana, kiwi, strawberry, pear, etc. The more colorful your skewer looks, the better.
- Then wash the fruit thoroughly and peel the fruit you need to peel.
- Cut the fruit into slices or cubes about 1 cm thick.
- Put the pieces of fruit on the skewers to assemble the skewers. Sprinkle the fruits in between to make the result more attractive to the eye and the palate.
Easy and quick to make. If you like, you can drizzle liquid yogurt over the fruit skewers. Delicious and healthy!
Another great way to incorporate fruit into your diet is smoothies. Smoothies are nutritious and a refreshing choice when the weather is nice. Plus, they are really easy to make! Although they are so popular today, these delicious shakes made with fruit, milk, and yogurt have been around since 1930. Read this article to learn more about how to make fruit smoothies.
Date and almond bonbons
Here is another low-calorie, healthy and nutritious snack for sweets lovers: date and almond bonbons.
- Grated coconut or cocoa
- Remove the pit from the dates and chop them.
- Then put them in a food processor with the almonds and grind both ingredients.
- When they are finely chopped, add some cinnamon to give them more flavor.
- Then shape the bonbons with your hands.
- If you like, you can finish them off by dragging them through cocoa or shredded coconut.
- Put the bonbons in the refrigerator for an hour before eating.
These healthy snacks are suitable for vegans, diabetics, and celiacs. They are quick to prepare and very light. Do you dare to try them?
You can also eat almonds by making almond butter at home. The ingredients needed are minimal, and the delicious taste you get is really worth the time. This creamy, delicious and satisfying butter is a fantastic addition to a healthy snack. To learn how, check out our article on: How to make almond butter at home.
Who says you can not enjoy delicious popcorn and take care of yourself at the same time? Popcorn can be a healthy snack if you make it yourself. Plus, it's a source of fiber, aids in digestion, and is good for keeping cholesterol levels down. You still want more, right? A small bowl of natural popcorn contains only 30 kcal and is not only delicious, but also fills you up for hours.
- Popcorn kernels.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Place a pot over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil and the popcorn kernels.
- Then cover the pot and shake it periodically until the popcorn begins to pop.
- Remove the pot from the heat when you hear less than 3 popcorn kernels pop in a 10-second interval.
- Salt the popcorn to your taste and… Bon appétit!
We eat quite a lot of popcorn in our society, whether at the movies while watching a movie or at home with microwave popcorn. They are not only very tasty, but also healthy, as recent studies have shown. But are they? Find out how many calories popcorn has in our article how many calories does popcorn have?
Carrot and celery sticks
Healthy snacks like carrot and celery sticks provide you with plenty of vitamins when you eat them. In addition, both foods help you feel refreshed, boost your immune system, lower your cholesterol and detoxify your body. The low calorie content also makes them a light, healthy snack that you can eat as much of as you want and will take away the anxiety of snacking between meals. This snack takes no more than a few minutes to prepare, and it's the perfect substitute for unhealthy foods.
- Wash and peel the vegetables.
- Then cut them into batons.
Carrots are available all year round, so we can easily include them in our diet. If you want to know all the properties of this vegetable, do not miss this article about the benefits of carrots.
Other healthy snacks
In addition to the suggestions we have given you, there are many other healthy snacks for children and adults, both salty and sweet, that will make you feel full without having to resort to processed or ultra-processed products. Here are some suggestions:
- Roasted seaweed.
- Vegan cheese.
- Vegetable pate.
- Natural yogurt with fruit.
- Celery with cheese and olives.
- Two-ingredient cookies.
- Oatmeal and apple cookies.
- Oatmeal bars and nuts.
- Cucumber French fries.
- Tuna with whole grain crackers.
- Frozen grapes.
- Chocolate muffins
- Dehydrated banana.
- Muesli with chocolate.
- Hummus with chickpeas.
- Broccoli French fries.
If you are looking for more healthy recipes to include in your diet, then don't miss the following articles:
- How to eat a healthy breakfast
- Food for healthy hair
- Healthy dinner during pregnancy
- How to make healthy popsicles
- How to organize a healthy diet
If you want to read similar articles to Healthy Snacks You Can Make at Home, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.