Best Gluten-Free Recipes Under 200 Calories
If you have gluten intolerance, want lighter foods to help your digestion, or are following a diet plan, you'll probably be looking for healthy recipe ideas that are also gluten-free. The number of calories is especially important if you're following the 5:2 diet, as you'll need to get less than 500 daily calories on some days while still receiving enough nutrients.
No matter your dietary plan, it is very important to get enough vitamins, nutrients and energy to get through the day without damaging your health in the long run. In order to help you, in this oneHOWTO article we have compiled the best gluten-free recipes under 200 calories - they're healthy and packed with flavor!
Ratatouille (150 kcal)
Ratatouille is a traditional French recipe based on roasted vegetables, and so it's perfect when the ingredients are fresh, in the spring or summer. This is a gluten-free recipe under 200 calories, and it's also vegan, which makes it a very good choice for all diet types.
- 2 zucchini
- 2 red bell peppers
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 1 aubergine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can or jar tomato sauce
- dried oregano
- ground black pepper
Because this ratatouille gluten-free recipe is roasted, it takes about an hour and a half in total to prepare. However, you'll get 6 servings: you can freeze or store some and eat them throughout the week or as a vitamin-packed companion to other main dishes. Here's how to prepare it:
- Pre-heat the oven at 190 ºC (375 ºF).
- Get the vegetables ready: halve the tomatoes, deseed the peppers, and chop everything into big wedges. Peel and chop the garlic cloves as well.
- Place the vegetables for the ratatouille (everything except for the garlic) in a large tray suitable for the oven, as evenly spread out as possible.
- Season with the oil, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Place the vegetable tray in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. Stir every now and then.
- Once the ingredients get soft and slightly golden, they will be nearly done. Heat a large frying pan, add some more oil and cook the garlic separately.
- When the garlic has begun to brown, add the tomato sauce and bring it to the boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the frying pan and stir.
Prawn stew (175 kcal)
This delicious, warming prawn stew is the perfect comforting choice for a main dish while still being under 200 calories. Although it is a gluten-free recipe, you should check packages and labels to see if they may contain traces of wheat or other cereals.
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 12 large peeled prawns (check whether they have been fed on flour or soya)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fennel bulb
- 5 tbsp sherry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- paprika (check whether it contains wheat traces)
This homemade gluten-free prawn stew takes less than an hour to make. Here is how to prepare it:
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them. Slice the fennel bulb as well.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan.
- Fry the garlic and fennel slowly for about 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and some tomato paste if you want.
- Pour the sherry and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 25 minutes, until the sauce takes on a thicker texture.
- Peel the prawns, leaving the tail as it is. Add them to the pan and fry for 4 minutes, half for each side.
- Once the prawns have become pinker, they're done. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika and add parsley leaves if you want.
Carrot, orange and mint soup (120 kcal)
This healthy, vegetarian, gluten-free carrot, orange and mint soup is both fresh and comforting - you'll want to have it every day!
- 700 g carrot
- 1 l vegetable stock (choose a light option)
- 125 ml orange juice (make your own)
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- a butter knob
This gluten-free recipe under 200 calories takes less than an hour to make, and it's perfect at all times of the year. Here's how to do it:
- Prepare the fresh orange juice, peel and slice the carrots and chop the onions as well. Crush the garlic with a pestle and mortar.
- Get a medium-sized pan and melt the knob of butter - you can substitute it for margarine if you want to make it vegan.
- Add the vegetables and cook them gently until they become softer, for about 10 minutes. Stir every now and then, and cover with a lid to keep the juices.
- Add the vegetable stock and some salt. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer - don't let all the juice escape! - for about half an hour. Let it cool down.
- Strain the vegetables and keep the liquid in a container.
- Blend the soft vegetables until smooth. If the texture of the cream is too thick, add the strained stock. Stir well. If you want the soup to be velvet-smooth, you can also sieve it.
- Finally, add the orange juice and sprinkle the chopped mint leaves. If necessary, heat the soup again.
Breakfast or snack ideas
Either because you are following the 5:2 diet or because you simply want healthy, gluten-free recipes under 200 calories for your daily snacks or breakfast, in this section we have compiled our favorites. Take note, because they are all really easy to do!
- Greek yogurt with almonds and sultanas (95 kcal): Simply chop the nuts and dried fruits and stir in the yogurt - done!
- Banana smoothie (200 kcal): Process a chopped and frozen ripe banana, 120 ml (1/2 cup) skim milk of any kind and 1 tsp honey, as well as 50 g (1/2) crushed ice, in a blender. Add 3 ounces fat-free yogurt and blend some more.
- Chocolate chip oatmeal pancake (150 kcal): Blend 40 g (1/2 cup) rolled oats, a chopped ripe banana, 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk of any type, 2 pitted dates, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 cinnamon. Add 2 tbsp chocolate chips and stir - save some as topping. In a non-stick pan, heat some almond butter or coconut oil and make the pancakes. This will make about 5 pancakes - we recommend saving the batter for later and having one as a healthy snack under 200 calories.
- Vegetable omelette (170 kcal): Choose your favorite vegetables, chop them and sauté them until tender, or for about 10 minutes. Whisk some eggs - one per serving - and add to the pan. Shape, cook until done to your taste, and that's it.
These are the best gluten-free recipes under 200 calories. Do you have any favorites or any tips to share! Leave a comment below!
Looking for more gluten-free ideas? Stay with us!
If you want to read similar articles to Best Gluten-Free Recipes Under 200 Calories, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.