How to Make Provolone Cheese Taco Shells
Tacos are delicious, and you can use your own imagination to fill them up with your favorite ingredients, and make them adorable. Normally, taco shells are made up of wheat or corn tortillas, but you can add a punch to them by making them with provolone cheese. These taco shells are delicious, and fun to make too. If you are looking for a high carb diet, then these will work great for you. If you are a cheese lover, you will be completely intrigued by these. Read this oneHOWTO article to find out how to make provolone cheese taco shells.
What is provolone cheese?
First of all, know what provolone cheese is, and why you should make your taco shells with it. Provolone cheese is an Italian cheese made out of cow’s milk. Its taste may range from sweet to sharp, and color may be from white to pale yellow. It is semi-hard in texture, and is known for its mild, sharp, butter, tangy, sweet or spicy versions. This cheese is loaded with proteins and calcium, but it has high amounts of sodium as well. So, people with high blood pressure problem should use it in moderation, that too with caution.
Making provolone cheese taco shells does not require many ingredients. You can make the shells with just provolone cheese slices, but adding Mexican spices and garlic powder to them will add them some extra flavor. Ingredients required include:
- Round slices of provolone cheese (One slice makes one taco shell- so, take as many slices as the number of taco shells you want to make)
- Mexican spices
- Garlic powder
Instructions to follow
Making provolone cheese taco shells is quick and easy. All you need is a microwave oven, and the tools that you require in normal baking procedures. If you have them, then making these shells is as easy as 1-2-3. Follow these step by step instructions to make your own provolone cheese taco shells:
- Preheat your oven at 375°F (190°C)
- Place a parchment paper or baking sheet over a cookie sheet
- Lightly spray some non-stick cooking spray on it
- Place three round slices of the provolone cheese on parchment paper or baking sheet
- Lightly sprinkle with Mexican spices and garlic powder
- Bake for around 10 minutes until the color becomes light golden
- Immediately pick up the shells one by one using a spatula with straight edge, and place them over an edge of a pan. You need to do this very quickly while the shells are hot. Otherwise, they will crack as they cool and harden on the edge. Instead of the edge of a pan, you can lay the slices on any round edge, like a handle of a knife, a tissue paper holder or anything else
- Let them cool and set for 5 minutes. The cheese will take its shape and create a taco shell. Once the shells have cooled, peel them off from the baking sheet or parchment paper
Your provolone taco shells are ready. Fill them up with your favorite ingredients and enjoy.
Making provolone cheese taco shell cups
Apart from the common taco shells, you can even make taco shell cups with provolone cheese to give them a different look. Surprisingly, these taco shell cups are made in muffin trays. Follow these instructions:
- Generously coat a muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray
- Line each muffin mold with a provolone cheese slice
- Preheat oven at 375°F
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges of the taco shell cups become golden in color
- Let them cool, after which they will set
- Fill them up with your favorite filling and serve
Making provolone cheese taco shell bowls
Another version is making the taco shell bowls. These bowls are also made in a muffin tray, but in a different way. Turn a muffin tray upside down, spray it with a non-stick cooking spray, and lay each provolone cheese slice in the space between four muffin molds. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown, let them set, and fill to enjoy.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Provolone Cheese Taco Shells, we recommend you visit our Recipes category.